I love YA Books Based on Fairy Tales! I think what I like best about them are the similarities of the old classics paired with the twists of the author’s imagination.
When you delve into a new retelling of Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty or any of the others you start with a familiar premise and so it’s exciting to get to meet all the characters told in a new and different way.
One of the book series I picked up this year was The Lunar Chronicles. This is the story of Cinderella as a cyborg, Little Red Riding hood searching for her missing granny and falling in love with the “Wolf” and Rapunzel held prisoner in a satellite orbiting the earth.
I mean seriously, could you get any more fun? I LOVE The Lunar Chronicles, if you haven’t read them I HIGHLY recommend it.
I’ve put together a list of a bunch more Young Adult Books Based on Fairy Tales you just might want to check out! (all the below links are affiliate links)
- The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer- Cinderella, Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel and Snow White
- Mirrored by Alex Flinn-Snow White
- Alias Hook by Lisa Jensen- Peter Pan
- Beastly by Alex Flinn- Beauty and the Beast
- Belle by Cameron Dokey- Beauty and the Beast
- Ash by Malinda Lo- Cinderella
- Wayfarer by Lili St. Crow- Cinderella
- Water Song by Suzanne Weyn- The Frog Prince
- The World Above by Cameron Dokey- Jack and the Bean Stalk
- Drown by Esther Dalseno- The Little Mermaid
- Midnight Pearls by Debbie Viguie – The Little Mermaid
- Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce- Little Read Riding Hood
- Golden by Cameron Dokey- Rapunzel
- A Kiss in Time by Alex Flinn- Sleeping Beauty
- Nameless by Lili St. Crow- Snow White
- Alice in Zombieland by Nickolas Cook- Alice in Wonderland
- Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen- Robin Hood
- The Ugly Stepsister by Aya Ling- Cinderella
And a few bonus titles I just heard of:
- Through a Tangled Wood (multiple stories and authors)
- Alice in Wonderland High by Rachel Shane- Alice in Wonderland
Anyone have any of their favorite Fairy Tale retellings? Leave us a comment.